BMDW often receives emails or faxes from patients or their family, asking BMDW to search for a donor. BMDW does not respond to these requests other than providing the following information to the patient or their family.
- The patient must be accepted by a hospital (transplant center) that performs unrelated stem cell transplants as a candidate for stem cell transplantation.
- An unrelated donor search must be initiated by the transplant centre (TC).
The TC must request blood samples of the prospective donor, to perform Confirmatory Testing.
- The TC will contact the national "hub" organization (if it exists), that can search the BMDW database and will co-ordinate the procedures.
- The TC can also search the BMDW database on-line on the WWW, if it has been authorized by the "hub".
- If a country has no national "hub", then the TC may contact BMDW directly for a search.
The stem cell donor registry of the donor contacts the donor for counseling and collection of the requested blood samples.
If the confirmatory tests indicate compatibility, a formal request for stem cells can be made by the TC.
The donor is counseled more extensively by his or her donor center and gets a physical examination.
If everything is O.K. the donor will donate stem cells in his or her own country and the stem cells will be transported to the TC.
BMDW - Bone Marrow Donors Worldwide * Plesmanlaan 1b * 2333 BZ Leiden * The Netherlands